Sunday, April 25, 2010

Breastfeeding

The other day I was sitting with one of my good friends in village, Takko, who is in her early 20's, and her 5-month old baby, Aminata. We were shelling peanuts under the shade of the mango tree in her compound before she had to start preparing lunch. Aminata is slightly underweight for her age so I wanted to incorporate the subject of exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months into the conversation. While talking about Aminata, I told Takko that I was breastfed for the first 6 months exclusively. I then explained what foods I was fed in addition to breastmilk after six months of age and up to two years. With my hands, I motioned how large I was, but she did not believe me.

Many women here believe that women in America feed infants formula instead of breast milk, which they believe is better for the baby. When something is bought, it is often seen as being of better quality than something available for free. I explained that the majority of women in America actually breastfeed and she was very surprised. Most women in the Gambia breastfeed, but will add water and other foods before the child is six months due to a lack of knowledge.

Remembering that I had pictures of me as a baby, I ran to my hut, grabbed my photo album, and brought it back to Takko. She laughed and laughed at my very chubby baby pictures. One specifically, I am in the sink at Keene Farm being bathed by my dad. The picture does an excellent job showing all of my large rolls. Many other villages came to see what Takko was laughing at. They peered over our shoulders to get a glimpse of the picture and couldn’t believe it was me as a baby. This was also a really neat moment because it allowed me touch upon gender roles in America and how they differ from the gender roles in Gambia, which are incredibly strict. Childcare is the task of women here so to observe my father bathing me in the photograph was very intriguing for them. I went on to explain that my dad cooks, cleans, and does laundry. They thought this was very funny as these are strictly female activities. Through the laughter, I was hopefully I able to get the point across that men are capable of doing these tasks. My most effective work here will be based on conversations and interactions like these between friends where we exchange information and stories and build trust and respect by learning from each other.



This is Aminata with her father, Saidu.

12 comments:

  1. Hello Fern. It is Jeffoumatta from NH, an elder living in the village of Keene. Actually, it's just Jeff who just read your recent updates and felt sort of Gambian! It always makes my day to sign my silly computer on at work and see a new posting.......it beats the crap out of working!

    After reading that men do very little "house work" over there, I've decided that life in the Gambia doesn't seem so bad after all. Linda makes me do all the house work (except cooking and breast-feeding!) and I think I'm ready to be a wise elder and make important decisions about peanuts and fish. Ya right......I'd last about eight minutes over there!

    It's good to hear of your adventures and it sound like you're making a difference in the lives of your "family" (and vice versa). Keep up the good work and keep keeping us posted. As I said before, it makes my day to hear word from our little Fern in the Gambia. Take care of yourself and know that the Rubins think about you all the time.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fern,
    This is K'Breaun from Ms. Aguda's AVID class. I know I haven't commented in a while, but its always a great pleasure to read up on whats new. I find this blog pretty interesting, Especially the fact that the men do very little housework. That somewhat resembles American families as well. It seems like you've built a strong relationship with the people in Gambia. Hope to read more :)
    - KB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it was very interesting the kind of assumptions they had of american life.It was a good idea to sharer and extchange customs

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is linaa speaking on liya's account...im interested in how they think its better for the baby to drink formula milk rather than breast milk .They think differently of wht we think and im looking forward to reading more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ms. Fern,
    I think that breastfeeding is a bonding experience between the parent and the child. However, people in America prefer to bottle feed their children becuase of lack of time or because of the discomfort. I'm sort of cheap, so breastfeeding is the way to go! :) -I'm in Ms. Aguda's class my the way. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ello Fern,
    I found this blog really interesting about the breast-feeding there and how they believed it was bad and how they thought women in America only used formula. Another thing that caught my eye is how the men or fathers out there don't really take much part in raising their children and the mother does most of the work, and they are used to that. As for the U.S most women are stuck raising there children alone but America really try to encourage fathers to take part in the raising of their children, so I thought that was very interesting.
    -Yasmine from Ms.Aguda's per.3 class

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Fern!
    Im so so so so so sorry that i have not commented on your blog for sometime but its just that things have been so hecktic lately. Still Im so happy about everything you have been doing in the Peace Corps. I found it really interesting reading about all the different beleives that people have about family and the traditions that they follow. Im so glad you have had so mnay new experiences and had fun.
    Wish you the best of luck!
    -Jennifer from Ms. Aguda's per.3 AVID class

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey fern,
    i see that you have learned so much since you have been there. i really like what you are doing over there in the Gambia. The different ideas that people have are very interesting.
    Hope your having lots of fun.
    -Estefani from Ms. Aguda's class

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fern, This is Miriam Sayes from ms.Aguda's AVID class. I found your blog very interesting and informative.It's very surprising how they view the American life style as something strange and unusual. The thought of a men taking responsibilities in "women's activities" made them have a different point of view. Thank you for a great Blog,I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Fern,
    This is Kentashanaa from Ms. Aguda's AVID class. I find it interesting on how they think it is better for the baby to drink formula milk rather than breast milk. I find it interesting on the different views on certain topics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hello fern =]
    this is maricela from ms.agudas avid class i found your blog really interesting!... i really think men all over the world should start helping women with work around the house! and for the breastfeeding... i thought women knew about it.. am sure it will help her baby out =] hope your having fun out there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi!
    I am a 28 year old student from Norway. I will be in The Gambia from 22.th August to 17th of December and I am looking for some contacts in the country. If you are interested (or know someone that are) to meet up let me know!

    My email: priler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete