Sunday, April 25, 2010

Nursing Homes

I was talking with my host dad and mom in our compound after dinner a few nights ago about family systems here and in the US. My father asked about my family and specifically about my grandparents. He was very impressed with my grandmother's age and health. He asked if she lived in the same compound as my family in the US. I explained that she lives by herself in a house in a different state. They were taken aback. “Ndeer cuddi makko he hai goto kono oo?” (In a house by herself?) they kept asking, seeming rather alarmed. “Eyi” (Yes), I replied, “But family is always visiting and live close," I explained. This seemed to lessen their anxieties slightly, but they were still concerned. The idea of someone living alone, especially an older person, is very foreign to them. The compounds here are living entities. Within their fences, compounds house family members across generations. This system is one of strength, support, and security. The older individuals depend on the younger individuals for their physical labor, childbearing, and income generation. The younger generation depends on the older generation for decision making, advice, childraising, and social ties.

Feeling adventurous, I then attempted to explain nursing homes.
“Suudu money he mawbe hewbe” (Many old people live in large houses with many other old people), I explained.
“Are they related?” they asked. (This conversation continues in Pulaar, but I will leave out the translation.)
“No,” I replied, “many do not know each other.”
“Are they sick?”
“Sometimes,” I said.
“Where are their families?” they asked concerned.
“Some visit, some do not,” I explained.
"Who takes care of them? Who cooks lunch and dinner?"
"There are people that work at these homes who cook, clean and take care of them, like my mom. She is a nurse at one of these homes."
"The old people must be sad there - no children, no family, no life."
"Yes," I said. "Many times they are."

This then gave me the opportunity to explain what I think is a great aspect of Gambian culture: how elderly are cared for, respected, and incorporated into society. They are not isolated, disregarded, and medicated as is often the case in the states.

Here people always ask me about America and express their desire to get a visa and live there. Their fantasy of America is solely an image of wealth and easy living. While praising America, they always criticize and depreciate Gambia by saying that it is an ugly, poor, and unpleasant place to live. It is hard to explain that life in America is not always as easy as they think. This conversation on nursing homes was one instance where I was able to express serious admiration for their culture and I hope they were able to recognize this difference and appreciate it as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Fern!!
    Thankyou once again for sharing your stories with us back here in the states. Your experience is so foreign to us and you describe it so well!!I am glad that you are enjoying your family and that you feel so welcome there.
    Sophie is almost done with her classes at Keene state. She will graduate magna cum laude in education and psychology on May 8th. We are so proud of her. She will still need to do student teaching next fall but at least classes will be done with. She is hoping to do some substitute teaching until elementary school gets out and then she hopes to do some babysitting or receptionist type work. She does not want to have to go back to Fritz!
    Hannah returns from Ecuador May16th. She has had a great time although the teachers there were not too good(They were always arguing with each other. Hannah is flying down to Chile on Friday to spend 2 weeks with her boy friend who is studying near Santiago. She can't wait!! When she comes home she will have about 3 weeks off before she heads out again to Alaska for a summer job leading trips for high school kids. We don't get to see much of her.
    Hope you are well. Give our love to you and your family. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'd ever send my mom to a nursing home........... LoL unless I remember all my childhood memories when she may have angered me. hahaha jkjk...but I agree with the village, my mother has done so much for me and has taken care of me so I see it as a time of returning the favor:)
    -yasmine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fernie! :) This is Aaliyah Jordan from Ms. Aguda's class... again. I agree with your village, because sending your family to a nursing home may not always be a great idea. Even though my mother makes me mad, quite frequently, I don't think I'd just send her to a place like that. I went to an old folks' home in the second grade, and this lady kinda died in front of my group of kids. It was weird.

    ReplyDelete