Friday, August 27, 2010

A Collection of Fabric

My sister, Babadou, gave birth in late April. I was traveling back to village from Kombo when I received a call from Samba, a friend in village, telling me that she had given birth the night before. I was so excited and so relieved that the delivery was successful and that both she and the baby were healthy. The gelly gelly (bush taxi) dropped me off in Bansang and I rode quickly home on my bike skirting through deep pockets of sand and around the cows blocking the path. Reaching her compound, I jumped off my bike and parked it against the compound fence. I ran into her hut, where she was staying for the week following the birth (Fula tradition: After giving birth, the woman has to stay inside her hut and backyard area until the naming ceremony occurs on the seventh day following the birth. I think it's great because it means a lighter workload for the mother while she is recovering from the birth and more focus on the newborn). I sat with her on the bed as she breastfed her new daughter. I asked her many questions about the birth (how painful and long it was, was there much blood, did she cry or yell, were there any complications). She laughed at my questions and very simply told me that she gave birth in the backyard with my mother and her husband's mother present. And "No," she said, "I did not cry or yell. It was not painful." I looked at her with doubtful eyes. She just smiled and handed me the tight bundle of a baby who was wrapped in many blankets. Her eyelids fluttered as she drifted back into sleep, fingers curled tightly. I tried to express to my sister how brave and incredible she was to give birth without assistance on the dirt floor, but she just laughed again.

This is my sister's daughter at three days old.

Everyday I sat with my sister and her baby (later named Fatoumatta) in her hut, often accompanied by other women in the village. Throughout the week, women carried water for bathing, laundering, and cooking to her compound because she could not leave to go to the pump. They refilled her large clay pots that hold water for drinking and, at mealtimes, they would bring extra food. Many of the older women would come to sit with Babadou in the early mornings asking about her health and Fatoumatta's health. They watched as she breastfed her and offered words of support. Before they left the hut, they would recite short prayers for both the her and Fatoumatta. One or two of the older women would return at dusk to bathe Fatoumatta with soap and water.

Women from every compound brought Babadou pieces of fabric during the week. They brought tattered shirts and skirts and other worn cloth, not having money to buy new material. Babadou layers this fabric under Fatoumatta to cushion and support her when she lays on the bed (see above picture). The layers of fabric also protect the bed sheet from getting spoiled when she goes to the bathroom. Pieces of this collection of fabric are also used to wrap Fatoumatta when Babadough is carrying her or tying her on her back. One day while we were sitting in her hut, she pointed out to me who gave her each piece. She spoke with pride when explaining that these worn but beautiful fabrics now belong to her daughter. This sharing and exchanging of fabric that occurs at each birth symbolizes, to me, the communal raising of children by the village.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Fern:

    As always, happy to read your blog and see that your experience continues to be amazing. Glad to see that "Fatoumatta The Baby" arrived successfully. I've seen childbirth in America....No dirt floors or "un-sterilized" instruments, which makes me wonder about the necessity of such practices. Can it be that the medical profession has us all bamboozled! And not a tear or scream from the new mother? I daresay that is quite different than what I remember!

    All is well in New Hampshire. Today is the first day of school in Keene and I dropped Elijah off for his first day of 8th grade before coming to work. Is it possible that next year he will be at the high school? Quite frightening. I know Nelson started school at UNH as well on Monday and Walker is back at UVM for his final year of college......more frightening phenomenon!

    Zach (who finally graduated in May) has moved out and now lives in Manchester. He's working for a residential facility called Wediko, which is a school/home for boys who have been basically thrown out of the public school system. They usually have behavioral issues, stemming from emotional and family problems. He says that it's hard to believe, coming from our backgrounds that kids could behave the way they do. We are all very lucky to just be us!

    And Linda and I are fine. Loving Keene and our close proximity to everything and enjoying the late summer in New England. It's hard to believe that it's September 1st already and Fall is right around the corner. It's also hard to believe that your going away party was just about a year ago.....unbelievable!

    As I close, a belated Happy Birthday (which if I remember correctly, was August 20th) and good wishes for the upcoming second year of your stay in Africa. Keep us posted, take care of yourself and stay in the shade!

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern
    Your writing is even more vivid now that you are so clearly part of the "fabric" of your village. Can you give us a brief definition of your PC project and tell us how it's going? What are your hopes and goals for the rest of your time there? We miss you. Give Ebrima a hug for us. And a big hug for you. xo mick and tony

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, I'm Tatiyana Egland ,I'm in Kelly Aguda's class, and I heard about your blog and wanted to check it out. I've never heard of birth not hurting, and especially if you dont have the correct instruments. This is the first time I've heard of Gambia, it seem like a peacful village. I find it interesting that people from a different country don't know what a swing is, to us it nothing but to them it's so much fun. i guess since we have alot in America we don't really appreciate the small things, like swings. But your blogs are good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am deontai from Kelly Aguda's class.She said if we visited your website then we would receive extra credit. So here I am. I think your work is very interesting. Each day your in Gambia your contributing to making the world a better place for this generation and future generations to come. By the way the pictures of the vilage children are amazing, I hope you do well and whatever you put your mind. Through reading this blog I've come to realize in America we take advantage of so much when other children only wish they could have the same "simple" things we take for granite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm Ciera Clemons and I am in Kelly Aguda's history class. She told us about your blog and all of the help you are giving to the people in Gambia and I think that what you;re doing is great. I don't think a lot of people would do what you are doing now, which is a shame because there are a lot of people out there that need help. I think that if there were more people like you, that are actualy willing to help others, the world would be a whole lot better than what it is now. I hope you are successful in whatever you do and i wish you nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete