Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Village Life


"Community in Africa still works. The village is arguably the most stable and cohesive unit in West African society. Modern Africans may scoff at their village cousins, who produce a bumper crop of yams one year and give half of them away to relatives and friends instead of reaping the profits. But that's the beauty of Africa, that's the glue in the face of catastrophes like AIDS and ethnic unrest. In the village, noone falls through the cracks" (202).
Sarah Erdman, Nine Hills to Nambonkaha

Nine Hills to Nambonkaha is written by a Peace Corps Volunteer who served in the Ivory Coast. I felt that this description applied accurately to village life I have observed.

I lived in a small training village in the Central River Region with five other trainees and two LCFs (language and cultural facilitators). There were about 8 main compounds (120-140 people).

This is the long open area in the middle of the village with compounds located on each side. The trees (orange and mango) in the middle of this strip serve as gathering spots for villagers. In the late afternoon under the shade of the trees, men often brew attaya (chinese green tea) while women rest on the wooden benches or shell peanuts into large piles on woven mats. My compound was on the right at the end near where the woman in white is walking. In the foreground of the photo there is a small pile of coos (millet) that will eventually be pounded down by women and then prepared for dinner.

Pounding is a constant activity by the women in the village as coos is eaten usually for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the beginning, I compared it to eating sand, but now I have come to like it more. For breakfast it is served as a porridge with sour milk (milk that sits out for 3-4 days unrefrigerated) and for lunch and dinner it is served dry with some sort of green leaf watery peanut sauce.

Everyday I would wake up and fall asleep to the sounds of pounding in the yard. This photo shows my host sister, Fatou, pounding coos in our compound. Pounding is tiring and I am very bad at it. Entertaining myself and my host sisters, I would always attempt, and this would end quickly in laughter at my lack of strength and technique.


My host family in training village was large with around 20-25 people. This picture is of three of my host sisters, Besso, Fatou, and Penda in front of my door. One of our first cultural assignments was to construct a family tree. This proved to be a very difficult task not only because of my low language level at that time but also because family terms and relations are different than in the US. For example, if you are a female, your sister's children are considered your own. It also seemed that people do not consider family terms often. If you are living in the compound, then you are family and you contribute to the compound through your work. There seems to be a constant influx and movement of family and living situations. Because families are so large, there are normally members living in Kombo or in other regions to go to school. There is the added element of polygamy as well. By the end of training village, which was about a month, I had some grasp on how everyone was related. One aspect of the Gambian culture that I truly appreciate is the constant interactions of different generations because they share the same living space. In my compound, the youngest was a one week old baby and the oldest was around 70.

This is my host brother, Alieu (13), and my host sister, Kumba (8) right outside of our compound. Alieu is in eighth grade and Kumba is in third grade. Note the donkey. The first week in village I was awakened every night by its braying outside my window. Life here is outside, people mainly use their houses to sleep. Not only are people constantly interacting with other people outside, but also with animals (chickens, goats, sheep), which are constantly roaming around.

7 comments:

  1. Fern, I can't explain how much your blogs make me miss South Africa. While I know it's a completely different country and many things are different, so many of the cultural aspects you describe are similar. The family structure and all the different generations in one household was true with my homestay in South Africa. The "gelly gelly" you talked about remind me of what they call Kumbi's in South Africa, which we would take around the city. It sounds so incredible I'm so happy for you and jealous because it makes me nostalgic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH I MISS YOU! KEEP UPDATING!!!!!! I hope you are so happy. It sounds like such an amazing adventure!
    loving you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fern - It is 25 degrees out this morning and I am jealous of your warm weather in the Gambia! Thanks for the wonderful updates and insiders view into life in Gambia. It is so exciting to be able to live vicariously through you, visiting places that I will only know through your words . . . . or those of National Geographic! Lots and lots of good energy being sent your way and I'll say a little prayer that your pounding skills improve. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Fern. Great to read your most recent updates and glad to see that you are becoming one with the villagers. Soon it will be hard to distinguish you from the native peoples.......NOT!

    All is well in The Keene. I will relay your adventures to Nelson as you requested, although I think he's a regular blogger and read your update before me. He was over the other night with a few friends and brought Walker to the tub before his departure to Nicaragua. I think we're going to watch the Patriots' first playoff game together on Sunday. LOVE IT!

    Winter has settled in and the weather has been quite cold up here. When I look at your pictures its hard to believe that we live on the same planet. Do we?

    Continue to learn, enjoy your "family" and keep on pounding. Keep us posted and know that we are thinking of you......take care. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. greetings ambassador/princess/white goddess..........
    hi fern,
    all reports from the homefront have been positive. reading your latest entries sound equally positive. seems like you settled in quickly. time is already flying by no doubt.
    i'm throwing together a little package for you. nothing elaborate mind you but hopefully you'll be able to use it.
    was so nice to hear your voice on christmas day. not sure if you got my shout-out. i had just left visiting lisa adler in the hospital when i called your mom and dad. it was quite a day.
    sending cool breezes your way.....going skating at the hartford ice rink this afternoon.
    your are in my heart and thoughts always.
    love,
    uncle jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps

    congratulations on the transition/promotion from trainee to volunteer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    more love,
    jim

    ReplyDelete